Sunday, April 26, 2009

Kathi's Story

I consider myself fortunate. I was diagnosed with Lupus in July 1999, after a three year struggle to find out “what was wrong with me”. Many people struggle 10 -15 years before being diagnosed.
I consider myself fortunate. My symptoms are fairly mild. I have had symptoms as far back as my early teens, rarely have they been enough to put me in bed, and only one trip to the ER. Many of my fellow “Lupies” spend weeks confined to their beds or months in the hospital facing life-threatening complications. Some die.
I consider myself fortunate. I have friends and family who try to understand my bad days and help me to celebrate the good. Not every Lupie has the same support. I consider myself fortunate. I take one medication daily to keep my symptoms (mostly) under control. Many Lupus sufferers have their own pharmacies including chemotherapy drugs which have their own horrible side effects.
I consider myself fortunate

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment